Friday, November 1, 2013

My Halloween Nag

Halloween is over.  Thank God!  I used to love getting creative and dressing up when it was only me I had to worry about.  Now I have to get creative figuring out how to manage sugar intake with the least number of tantrums.  And that's just the aftermath of trick or treating.

Beforehand, I give my son a little lecture.  We are going in public where there is a lot of traffic and maybe little tolerance.  He can't get picky.  He can't take his time going through the candy bowl.  He can't touch people's costumes without permission.... little does it help.
The most difficult times were when the candy-giving people would get impatient with his questioning or wanting more than one candy.  A voice inside my head would say "give him a break, he's autistic." and on the outside I would quietly redirect him.  Mainly because I couldn't stand the sight of anyone being less than kind to him.  But really people!  If you have little tolerance towards children (autistic or not) please stay inside.  This is a special occasion for kids.  If you want to share it with them by handing out candy, remember this:  Parents are in charge of teaching their kids manners.  Not you.  You are only in charge of handing out candy until you run out.  And then your job is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment